Experience the beauty and the diversity of the Swiss Alps
26-28 Aug 2022
You’ll stay in unique mountain accommodation, surrounded by giant mountains peaks while enjoy a great variety of hikes along beautiful panoramic trails.
This 3-day experience is packed with nature and fun. You will join a small group of individuals and friends and enjoy being part of a memorable summer mountain adventure in the Swiss Alps.
It is the perfect opportunity to relax, have fun, and enjoy a unique Swiss mountain experience, and share your passion of nature and hiking with new friends.
- Two nights in a unique mountain accommodation in the heart of the Swiss Alps above 2400m.
- Exploring stunning panoramic hiking trails.
- Breathe-in the fresh air.
- Relax with the beauty and tranquillity of the surrounding Alps.
- Have fun with the team and make new friends during the evenings.
- Learn the centuries-old history of the Great St-Bernard.
- Meet the famous St-Bernard dogs.
We start our adventure in Martigny with an easy but stunning hike (6 km, 200 m altitude, 2h) along terraced vineyards above the town. Our trail will lead past Martigny’s medieval castle, the Château de la Batiaz and the pretty winemaking village of Plan Cerisier where you can take a look at its traditional wooden “mazot” barns.
During our stroll we will see thrilling views of Martigny and the Rhône valley before we continue our pleasant stroll along the river Dranse back into town.
Then, we will ascend to the heart of the Swiss Alps to reach the destination of the day, the Great-St-Bernard Pass.
We will stay in a sanctuary built in the Middle Ages by Augustine monks, whose hospitality is legendary for providing refuge for hikers, pilgrims and passing guests.
After settling down, during the afternoon you can visit the church, treasure, and the museum of the Hospice, meet and even have a walk with the famous St- Bernard dogs or just stroll around, enjoy the scenic view of surrounding mountain peaks, breath in the fresh air and immerse yourself in the beauty and calmness of the Swiss Alps.
In the evening, you will have the opportunity to get to know your new friends better over dinner.
The St-Bernard dogs were bred here, in the Hospice by the monks, to rescue travelers caught in storms or get exhausted by effort and winter conditions during their ascent to the pass. According to the legends, the most famous dog of all time is Barry, who saved the life of more than 40 people! However, the breeding of the Saint-Bernard dogs is moved to Martigny some time ago, they return to their original homeland and spend the summers in the St-Bernard Pass.
The second day is the main attraction of our travel experience: The Cols du Grand-St-Bernard hike !
The Great St-Bernard pass, straddling the Swiss-Italian border, has been an important alpine crossing since Roman times and is the third highest road pass in the Swiss Alps. This historic pass road also gives access to thrilling hiking terrain, what we will thoroughly discover.
During this spectacular hike (12 km, 900 m ascend and descend, 5.5h) we will pass three scenic cols -each revealing different views- and an idyllic cluster of alpine lakes on a flower-filled plateau.
The scenic view of Mont Blanc and its neighbouring snow-capped Alpine peaks will accompany us throughout the day.
At first sight, the hike does not seem very difficult with its moderate length. However, do not forget, that we will be in high altitude, climbing up to 2750 meters, what makes the entire more a bit tougher than you might consider. ;)
After such a challenging day, it will be a good feeling recover a bit in the Hospice before having dinner and enjoying a jovial evening with the other guests.
The last day we will disover what Champex Lake has to offer!
We will visit the Artillery Fort, then you will have some free time to discover Flore- Alpe Garden, take the charlift to La Breya and come down with scooters, try paddle boat, cool down in the lake, or, if you still have energy to burn, walk around the area. 😉
We will return together to Martigny where our adventure ends. However, you will have some time in the afternoon to discover Martigny on your own (Fondation Pierre Gianadda, Barryland, Museum Of Science Of The Earth) before you are heading home.
During this trip we will go with a slow and steady speed and take marked mountain trails and alpine routes. As such, no specific equipment is needed, though a pair of hiking poles will always have a good use. However, due to the difficulty of the hike on the 2nd day, some hiking experience and good physical conditions are necessary.
- Traditional Swiss Mountain accommodation and hospitality.
- Each room 3-4 beds, and shared showering facilities. (Yep, this is part of the traditional mountain experience! :) )
- Slippers and duvets are provided. You are required to bring your own duvet and pillow covers or sleeping bag, and towel.
- Full-board: communal breakfast and a set evening meal is included. Pickinck for the 2nd and 3rd day is provided. Please announce when booking if you have any special dietary requirements.
- The cosy communal dining/reception area is the perfect place to warm up after your activities, relax or play games.
Early bird until July 30th: 450 CHF
Regular price after Aug 1st : 550 CHF
* Including accommodation with full board, transportation from Martigny and back, guided hikes, acitivites at Champex Lac ( entry to the Artillery Fort and to the Flore- Alpe Garden, charlift to La Breya and scooters to descend, paddle boat) and visit the Grand-Saint-Bernard Hospice Museum with access to the kennel of the St Bernard dogs.